*This post is sponsored by Graco. All opinions are my own.*
The busyness of life can be consuming, especially as a working mom. The last few weeks my side hustle has become more like a second full-time job, so I’ve been making it a point to block out time that’s specifically for the kids. One of the easiest ways to do that is to just go for a walk. It’s the simplest activity with no real planning required. Here are 5 reasons why you should be going for a walk with your family too:
1. Your family gets to unplug. I am not the best of giving myself office hours for my side hustle so I’m learning to give myself a reason to not have my phone in my hands. It’s hard to tell your kids they have to limit their screen time when you’re sitting next to them doing 500 things on your phone. Being outside is a great way to unwind together, take in some fresh air and just feel the sun on your skin. Sunlight triggers the production of vitamin D which helps lower blood pressure and increases brain function.
2. You get to reconnect. Disconnecting from the world around you is a sure way to reconnect with one another. You can give your full attention to every little story and joke they may want to tell; and make sure they don’t hurt themselves while playing. Even if you don’t have kids you can still benefit from walking and reconnecting with your spouse/partner.
3. It’s great exercise. Exercising isn’t always fun but being outdoors def makes it easier for me. As for the kids they have tons of energy to burn off and you either have to find a way to help them or tell them to stop flipping across furniture 50 times. I’d much rather tire them out before bed or nap time. When they sleep good, you sleep better.
4. They get to explore/play. Children learn the most by exploring the world around them. When you leave them to only explore the world of your house they end up doing things like spilling flour all over the kitchen or getting pulling out every pot and pan you own. Being outside gives them a lot for freedom to be wild and free (within reason anyway).
Luke isn’t quite ready to run free but he does love being able to sit up right and take in the sights in his Graco Modes 2 Grow stroller. I love it because it’s like having 4 -strollers in-1. The toddler seat can sit both forward and rear facing which is great if the sun changes directions while you’re out walking. It can also transform into a double stroller within seconds which saves us on the days that Zoe doesn’t last the entire walk. If you’re little one isn’t quite ready to sit up it attaches to the Graco Click to Connect carseats to make a complete travel system. We will definitely be using this until Lukey is old enough to walk/run along with us without getting tired.
5. Creates healthy habits. I use to joke that my kids don’t know how to outside so we countered that by spending more time outside. Once being outside often was the new normal I had to start making up reasons to stay in the house, especially in the middle of the summer when it’s blazing outside. I love that they want to be outside, I love even more that they want to be outside with me. I hope that habit sticks so that they do the same when they are old enough to have families of their own.
Bonus: It’s always a great photo op. I know I said put the phones away but I didn’t say anything about the camera. Try snapping a few pictures as they run around , pick wild flowers, feed the ducks, find a worm or whatever else they end up doing along the way. Being outdoors, in natural light makes it really hard to take a bad picture. Just let them be as you snap away and you’ll be glad to have them to look back on later.
Now, who’s getting ready to go for a walk this evening?
Sharing is caring!